Sunday, June 17, 2007

Love at First Bite?

The very few---if any--of you that read this, know that I work with Special Needs kids at my church at the Saturday evening service every other week. I wasn't on this week, but I had to go into the room for a second.

Two TRUE stories:

One volunteer, Maggie, had her daughter, Grace, with her. Grace is about 6 years old I guess and has Down Syndrome. She is one of the sweetest, most open and loving children in the world. When I stuck my head in she invited me to play catch...so of course I had to do it. I also was blessed with a hug from her earlier.

She asked me about Nathan. Nathan is our oldest child and our youngest child. He'd 13 years old, but mentally/functionally he's about 1 - 2 years old. Grace wanted to know where he was, because it is so important to her to make sure that Nathan is included. What a wonderful thing that is. Grace truly epitomizes her very name.

On my way out the door and back to main church service, here comes Don [Nathan's dad] walking Nathan down the hall. He is a beautiful child. His eyes are always bright and alive. He loves to jump and rock back and forth and clap. He loves music, but if there's not any then I am thoroughly and totally convinced that God has put the very music of Heaven in Nathan's heart.

As I said, I wasn't working that night, but when I passed Nathan in the hallway, I stopped and gave him a hug and told him hello. I felt a sharp pain in my just below my cheek. I thought that Nathan had scratched me. Instead, he bit me.

Now remember, he is severely mentally retarded so he had no idea what he had done. Much like a teething 2 year old wouldn't understand.

When I looked in the mirror, there was no blood but there was a mark.

My first thought: I am 38 years old and my first hickey came from a 13 year old child that didn't know what he was even doing.

No comments: