Sunday, June 3, 2007

Can't Believe I Really Did It

I did it. I really did it. I went back to my home church.

I grew up in North Charleston SC. Still live here. I grew up in a church called Dorchester Waylen, or as we called it...DorWay [door way].

They moved about 3 years ago, and have opened up a new property. I went to that church this morning. Mostly to be with family. But at the end, it was very fascinating. The pastor, said that he had not delivered a good sermon. I knew that already, but he admitted it. It wasn't that it wasn't a theologically correct sermon, it was indeed. But, man it was boring. Now, that's looking at it from the point of view of someone who loves public speaking, however it was nonetheless boring.

After the sermon, and the final hymn, he confessed that it wasn't a great sermon. He said that the church is in a spiritual battle and he's right. I wish I had the DVD or the CD from my church about two weeks ago, spiritual warfare was the subject. I'd love to have that and go back tonight and take it to him. He asked us not to go out and talk about it, yeah fat chance that won't happen. My opinion is that the same thing that's wrong today is the same thing that was wrong with I was there----

E.R. That's the guy's intials, but not his name. He's a self-important jerk that thinks that somehow all votes, sermons etc need to go his way. If they can get him to change, or to leave then that's 1/2 the battle right there. The pastor also mentioned that he didn't want to offend anyone. Well why not. Sometimes a sermon needs to comfort the offended, and sometimes it needs to offend the comfortable. So go ahead and offend them. Maybe they'll leave.

I know that's harsh, but you don't pat cancer cells on the head and welcome them into your body and ask them to stay for coffee, you get rid of them. MAYBE that's what needs to happen at Doorway.

I know that I'm not there now, so it's not really my problem. I've still an opinion, and what's above is it.

Ok now I'll just pray:

Daddy God, move throughout Doorway and put on them only the kind of spiritual heaviness that only the Holy Spirit can bring. The type that won't let up, until they come to the undserstanding that only You are the reason for that church and that it's not for an agenda, or a country club without the golf course.

In Jesus Name---so be it.

No comments: